Monday, January 6, 2020

Bush Fires in Australia


IMG_5415.jpeg
Bush Fires Consuming Australia
I received this photograph today from a friend.  What a powerful feeling it evoked in me!  For one, it's a reminder of how vulnerable we are to the forces of nature.  I have a friend who lives in Australia.  While visiting for the holidays, he shared with us how worried everyone in his community is about losing their homes to the fires.  He lives in the outskirts of Sydney right next to a nature reserve and the fire was slowly making its way towards his community while he was visiting family and friends for the holidays. I doubt he was able to enjoy himself as much as he would have liked.   I thought maybe the fires were comparable to the ones in California, but they are ten times more deadly and not restricted to just one area, as the photograph shows.  Why is that the inhabitants of this earth do not make climate change a #1 priority?  We have received enough warning signs that we must change our habits or risk losing our planet.  Climate change is not only destroying our biodiversity, it it is causing death from malnutrition and starvation.  It has resulted in massive migrations of people searching for water and food, people who were uprooted from the place they called home and are forced to live in destitute poverty in hostile communities.  I just don't understand why the scientific facts aren't sufficient to convince people that this is a dire problem that will only grow exponentially unless we make it our top priority. We owe it to our children!

1 comment:

  1. Being I had to put this class on hold for the year with everything going on, I am just now getting to reading some blogs. I cannot help but just think about how you said just how vulnerable we are due to the forces of nature. I cannot help but think about how powerful nature is with everything going on these past 10 months. I mean first we have the wildfires ravaging the west coast causing billions of dollars of loss, not to mention how the families are effected directly. Then the COVID-19 pandemic. It is weird to think about no matter how strong or prepared we may be, we ultimately are just one very tiny piece in all of this. I do hope that we all can come together, work together, care about one another while working with each other for everyone's benefit.

    ReplyDelete