Thursday, January 2, 2020

Mindfulness

Image result for mindfulness"

https://images.app.goo.gl/jGTA6rQ6SuTCz1Fn8

Besides exercising more, one of the habits that I hope to change in 2020 is to become more mindful.  The practice of mindfulness has been linked to psychological and physical well-being and happiness. Stress is extremely harmful to the body and mind.  Mindfulness helps relieve stress.  A calmer state of mind can lead to a greater level of self-compassion and compassion towards others.  I myself have experienced these benefits.  When my son first started manifesting aspects of his mental illness my husband and I started going to mindfulness meditation classes at a local library to learn how to manage our anxieties and fears.  It took some time to learn how to tune out the emotions in my brain and focus on my body and being in the moment without judgement.  Sometimes it worked better than others.  But when it worked, I definitely felt less anxious, more capable of dealing with life in general, less self-critical and more empathetic towards others, especially my son.  However, a few years ago, I started meditating less as my responsibilities at work and outside of work became greater.  I have missed it and intend to reincorporate mindfulness meditation into my life on a regular basis starting in 2020.

To find out your state of mindfulness, take the following quiz from the Greater Good Magazine published by the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley.  It's quick and fun!

Mindfulness Quizz

Mindfulness meditation doesn't require going anywhere!  You can do it in your office, your bedroom, or any place else that is quiet.  All it takes is 15 minutes!  This link will take you to a practical article I found in the Greater Good Magazine published by the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley.

Mindful Breathing Exercise

I hope you enjoy these links!  It's a good place to start to a happier and healthier you!


3 comments:

  1. Mindfulness is definitely something that helps everybody. When we take time to just sit back and breathe, it helps us refocus, manage stress, and move on with the day. Walking helps me with this. Sometimes life can get so busy that I feel like I'm constantly going, going, going. Everything goes by so quickly from one thing to the next that when I have time to sit and do nothing, I've realized all of a sudden the day is gone, leaving me feeling exasperated. However, taking a walk outside, particularly on a sunny day, helps me to recapture the moment and think about nothing. Having an empty mind to just examine the things around me for a change without having to do anything helps me to refocus, alleviate the stress of the day, transition from activities, and just feel generally happier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful goal to share! I am grateful to think about this more thanks to your post. I took the quiz and the results indicate that I can certainly be more kind to myself - through Loving Kindness Meditation and Compassion Meditation. I love the ideas presented as suggestions, such as a savoring walk and eating a raisin using all of your senses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sarah, yes, mindfulness is something I too have been working hard on incorporating this year. I have practiced it in the past and have taken some wonderful things away from it. Life can get so hectic and everyone gets stuck in just crossing things off a list and never take the time to think about what isn't necessarily on a list, but something that is just good for their wellbeing. As a person that easily gets stressed out, I find that mental health and mindfulness go hand in hand. I hope you enjoy being mindful this year in 2020!

    ReplyDelete